Thursday, October 18, 2007

"Fall Festivals": the debil made me do it!

Churches in my town are now emblazoned with placards advertising their "Fall Festival". Amazingly, these fun events all seem to be occurring on the same day--October 31--and at the same time--around 5p--7:30pm or so--that normal kids will be trick or treating! Coincidence? I think not.

Seems they're all about like a bucket of worms re: devil worship. And to counteract this, they're offering "alternative" events. Kids can still dress up, but only as good things. You know, as super-heroes, cops, the NBC exec who finally canceled "The Apprentice". Good things. Nothing evil, because we don't want to be glorifying a holiday that doesn't have a sound foundation in Biblical principles.

Setting aside where that leaves Arbor Day, I gotta say this seems dumb on the face of it. For one thing, Christmas began as a pagan holiday; the tree comes right outta Germanic tribal sacrifice rituals. I don't recall that in the Bethlehem narrative. Jesus wasn't born anywhere near December 25th. For all that's true and right about what we observe today, the 3 Wise Men may as well be Manny, Moe, and Jack from Pep Boys.

I think the one true Christian holiday is Easter. And even that's been co-opted by that goddamm bunny with the chocolate eggs!

8 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

Easter actually is derived from a Pagan fertility festival held in the Spring. Thus the Rabbits and eggs.

Biblically sound costumes? I think it would be cool to dress up as "Legion" reported in Matthew I believe. A Multi faceted legion of demons that were cast into a herd of swine.

A Pig carcass with all sorts of demonic heads screaming and writhing in fear shooting out of it.

That would be so cool.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Nigel St.John Regina Smegmatica Howle-Raines said...

Yes...and then you scramble like lemmings into the Sea of Galilee and drown!

I LIKE IT!

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Deech said...

I think all of this politically correctness is fucking up our society. It bothers me that people just can't think outside the box for once.

Good and Evil, there never is one without the other. Oh well, let them celebrate thier goody two-shoes holiday if they want. I am going back to my SAMHAIN rituals!

Flyinfox_SATX

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger La Sirena said...

My son and I attempted to go to a haunted house on Halloween a few years ago, but it was actually a series of vinettes (sp?) showing kids dancing at a party, people happily smoking cigarettes and kissing teenagers who were then BANISHED TO HELL! Naturally, it was called Hell House.

I just wanted some zombies, werewolves and vampires.

word verif = pagon

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Constance said...

Good Thursday morning to you, Nigel.

I think you are right about what the churches are trying to do.
I never thought about Halloween as devil worship, but then again, I just thought dressing up was fun. Can't read into EVERYTHING, you know ???

I have such good memories of those little chocolate eggs in the pretty foil wrap :)

Blogger ate a bunch of my comments when I tried to post them last night - sorry. sigh. Technology - Grrrrr.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger doctor chip said...

soooo....

an "Azrael" costume from the movie "Dogma" would be like...

... well...

... off limits, so to speak?


what of the "Golgathan"?


clever, that shit was.


indeed.


"PoopyBoy"

B-)

----------

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger Carlos said...

If churches spent as much time teaching people to be good, kind, friendly people as they did denouncing this and boycotting that, we'd probably be a really bitchin' bunch of folks as a nation.

Oh, and it'd be a nice touch if all these bazillionaire preacher men spent their money on helping the poor instead of themselves.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Blue Sky Hunter said...

When I was a kid our church had a Halloween party and we could dress up any damn way we wanted.

My uncle went to a real psycho church (so did we for about a month) and they didn't celebrated Christmas or Halloween because they were evil Pagan celebrations. They were also armed to the teeth 'cause the commies were coming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home