Wednesday, April 23, 2008

In search of a happy ending

I'm looking for a happy ending.

But one that's meaningful. These days the one happy ending I have is that satisfied feeling you get post-Number 2. You know what I mean? Maintaining a healthy bowel is important to me. But I need more in the way of happy endings than walking away from the porcelain throne, saying to myself: "Well, THAT went well."

No, I need one where I can sit back, belch, and sigh with contentment. Something in my personal life. Oh, right, I forgot: I don't have one of those. Could be that's the problem?

On a completely unrelated note, a friend of mine dropped dead yesterday. Massive heart attack. You know him from his songs: it's Paul Davis. He had a number of big hit records, mostly in the late 70's/early 80's: "Cool Night", "I Go Crazy", "Sweet Life", "'65 Love Affair"? Here's a link to a song sample page--refresh your memory if you've forgotten. Anyhow, back in my radio days, he was one of my favorite people. He couldn't have been nicer, friendlier...completely unlike nearly all the other musicians I know. He was soft-spoken. Loved golf. Loved fishing. Tolerant and thoughtful. He even put up with me getting totally trashed one night at his house. I mean legless in every way. I have a vague memory of making out with some girl at the foot of his piano while he was serenading us with song. I think I threw up but I believe it was outside his house. At least I hope so.

RIP Paul. You were a good bloke.

3 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Deech said...

Nigel,

Sorry to hear about your loss. Just remember that as long as you keep remembering him, a part of him will never die.

As far as happy endings are concerned...yeah, I can see that. I usually compliment the chef after a good meal with a nice belch and a nice thick magazine letting him or her know that I am going to my own personal library to read and to lament on the food I just ate.

Flyinfox_SATX

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger reneegrrrrrrrr said...

Sorry to hear bout your loss as well.

I'm a chick so I won't share my belching habits, but I did make Bunny discontinue her snacks do to my inappropriate bodily function. In turn I couldn't finish eating my dinner while watching Inked, they shaved a mans leg and I have hair issues. Bunny's hounds were happy to receive the rest of my dinner.

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger Carlos said...

I remember a couple of his songs. Sucks when good blokes go. I'm sorry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home