Thursday, July 24, 2008

Meet Nigel, your friendly bartender

I've been a-pondering lately.

I have come to the conclusion that I am what's called a functioning alcoholic. This means: I don't miss work, I show up early, I keep my promises, I do what I say I'm going to do. It also means: when I get down time, I don't do much 'cept throw down the coldies, one after another. Takes the edge off. Problems begin when I have one too many, though these days it takes a LOT for me to get to that point.

I did an inventory of yesterday's consumption, which is by no means excessive compared to other days when I'm more stressed out than I was yesterday...here goes:

--6 20 ounce Budweisers;
--3 huge snifters of Sambuca to go with the Buds;
--1 large shot of Jameson's Irish Whisky;
--2 of those la-de-da fruit salad blackberry cooler drinks from Seagrams.

All this, between 4pm and 7:30pm, after which I hied my way to the sofa and began my nightly drunk texting ritual. Previous readers of this drivel know I've gotten myself into trouble doing this in the past, particularly with potential candidates to be ex-Mrs. Nigel #3, but I feel...compelled. Compelled, I say.

Oh, and I was up at 4:15am and at work before 6am. I don't think my liver slept much, though.

3 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Blogger Carlos said...

I'm beginning to feel the same way. I bought a liter of Meyers's Rum on Saturday. It was gone by Tuesday night. I drink it straight.

I bought a half-gallon of whisky on Wednesday...we'll see how long it takes to evaporate it.

Still in a good bit of a funk, so I'm hoping I'll slow down. Right now I need to maintain a decent buzz during my idle time or I'll come apart. It sucks, my friend.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Nigel St.John Regina Smegmatica Howle-Raines said...

Carlos, buddy, WTF is going on with you? I mean, I KNOW why I drink--but you've gone south here, man, I worry. Email me @ warmbowlof AT yahoo.com.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Karen said...

now that sounds like a time...I probably would have replaced the Buds with Sams (okay Sam Lights, it is summer...) , and I don't do the 'Buca Boogie...but I am all over the Jameson's. In fact, scratch the rest of it, I'll just take the bottle...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home