Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tv series worth checking out, maybe

Shlubbies, I don't as a rule watch much TV -- at least, TV shows -- I watch a LOT of movies, TCM, IFC, HBO, but series, not so much.

But there are three shows out now that have caught my attention and I think they're pretty amazing. Two are on TNT, and one is on HBO.

The TNT shows:

The Closer. Kyra Sedgwick stars as some kind of a police person, solving crimes. One scene in Sunday's episode featured her wandering around in her underwear, and for God's sake this woman is 43 years old, but she has the body of a 19 year old. I mean, I don't wanna get all "typical male" here but she is breathtaking. If she'd let me (and if hubby Kevin Bacon was, say, on vacation somewhere by himself), I'd happily provide her the most disappointing 25 seconds of her life. Seriously, though, a very well written show, strong woman, interesting plots, compelling. I love me older women who look great and who have strong personalities. Watch it.

Saving Grace. Holly Hunter stars as some kind of a police person, solving crimes. Another really well written program. Her character is amazingly complicated and Hunter is an absolutely astonishing actor, truly, truly. She has the ability to appear vulnerable and tough as nails all at the same time. Plus, how is it possible that she's gotten better looking as she gets older? I love me older women who look great and who have strong personalities. Watch it.

The HBO show:

Generation Kill. Iraq war drama, well written, compelling, well acted. I like how the show has slow, boring moments which are punctuated by sudden, intense violence...and then it's back to characters picking their nose or playing cards. Not having served in the military, I don't know for a fact if this is remotely the way it is, but it feels like it is. Know what I mean? Watch it.

1 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, Blogger Carlos said...

Wow. Funny you should mention those two TNT series Nigel. Until my friend Shelley got me watching them on Monday (on the DVR), I'd never given them a second thought before that. I never much cared for Kyra until I saw her prancing around in her underwear. Maybe between the two of us we could give her the most disappointing 60 seconds of her life! I like the two episodes I've seen so far.

Holly Hunter is just plain ol' hot. I like the premise of the series, but have only seen one episode. I'll watch more.

Never heard of Generation Kill. Have you watched Entourage on HBO? Excellent series!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home