Saturday, November 24, 2007

Fond childhood memories

Family and childhood memories...it's that time of year, plus since I almost died recently, I'm getting just a bit more *sniff* sentimental than usual.

I''m recovering from my stroke, and eating the swill Nurse Ratched prepares for me puts me in mind of my childhood visits to Franco's Fish on Mona Vale Road (below left). Franco himself would greet me at the door by immediately yelling "Donna toucha da feesh, you-a young boyo, bastardo!" and after I'd bought the day's cod and had the chips wrapped up in newspaper, he'd yell some more: "You-a! Yes, you-a! GETTA DA BUGGERY OUTTA DA SHOP! Tua madre si da per niente!" (the Italian phrase translates roughly as "your mother gives it away") and I'd yell back: "Vaffanculo a Lei, la sua moglie, e' la sua madre. Lei e' un cafone stronzo. Io non mangio in questo merdaio! Vada via in culo!", which translates thusly: "You, sir, go fuck yourself--and your wife and your mother. You are a common turd! I'm not going to eat in this shithouse. Fuck you!"

Then Franco would chase me out onto the street, and I'd yell over my shoulder at him: "Caccati in mano e prenditi a schiaffi!" ("take a shit on your hands and then hit yourself!"). I'd cross the street, take little Nigel out from his tighty-whitey hammock, and wave it at Franco. Then I'd run home.

When you're just 10 years old, this was a fun way to kill an hour or so on a Saturday afternoon. 'Twas a simpler, more innocent time.

3 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Carlos said...

LOL! That sounds eerily like my antics at the age of 8-10 in a sleepy beach town in the late 1960s. My friend Eric and I were the terrors of the neighborhood. 1960s terrors ain't so bad by today's standards, but just the same...

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Constance said...

Glad you are recovering from your stroke, Nigel. Your sentimentality proves that you are feeling better indeed :)

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger La Sirena said...

Aaaahhh, the good old days!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home