Saturday, December 01, 2007

IHOP: the guilty pleasure

This morning was my first real venture out (except of course for the legal shit earlier this week) and, contrary to doctor's orders, I ate a cholesterol laden plate of muck for breakfast at IHOP. Large OJ and a three egg corned beef hash omelette smothered in cheese plus three pancakes. Two pots of coffee.

While I'm feasting, I get a call about a guy I know who's got cancer and who went into hospice last night. That means he's got about three days to live. It got me thinking: there I was, sitting at the table (note, not a booth; I can't fit into booths anymore), enjoying myself and knowing full well that I shouldn't have eaten what I ate. But, dammit, the only joy in life I have left is consumption and excretion. By this I mean eating and drinking and then the world's most underrated activity, going to the stall to release chocolate hostages when you really, really really gotta go. That's all I've got.

So, I've decided it's better to live and enjoy but die soon rather than live and be miserable. Eat, drink, oy vey, fress, fress, fress! Don't be an alter cocker, gevalt!

5 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger reneegrrrrrrrr said...

A quality life is the only way to live. I certainly don't want to be old and wish I had only....

"world's most underrated activity, going to the stall to release chocolate hostages when you really, really really gotta go. "

^^^^fuck, you cracked me up^^^^

Enjoy life while your on this earth!!!

Have a great weekend and please go back to my blog to caption the photo.

Have a great weekend!!!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Constance said...

"chocolate hostages" ??? Snicker. Nigel, you are a potty mouth :)

I kinda understand how you feel. Why live to 90 if you can't enjoy it ? And if you live until 60 having fun all the way, well, who'se to say that wasn't the right thing to do ?
After all, does the doctor care about you or the income he'll get from you as a patient if you'll live longer ???

Not that I'm cynical about the medical profession or anything.
And obviously, we'd all rather have you around, amusing us with your light and hearty observations, BUT you've gotta do what works for you.

You remind me of my jewish grandma. Eat, bubbe, eat !!!

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Nigel St.John Regina Smegmatica Howle-Raines said...

My mother's family are all Jewish, from Russia and Poland. My father's family are all Scottish Protestants. My father's family believed that Catholics had tails and were all going to hell...imagine how they felt about my dad's choice of wife.

The fireworks were fun. My sense of humor is 100% from my mother's side of the family, though my dad could be pretty damn funny too.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger doctor chip said...

OY.

yup.

"kyewl"

B-|

------

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger Pavel Chekov said...

Party hard, dude.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home