Thursday, February 21, 2008

I can't win. I won't win. I don't want to win.

Japanese Salarymen -- the black-suited corporate warriors who work long hours, spend long evenings drinking with cronies and stumble home late to long-suffering wives -- have danger waiting for them as they near retirement.

A change in Japanese law this year allows a wife who is filing for divorce to claim as much as half her husband's company pension. When the new law went into effect in April, divorce filings across Japan spiked 6.1 percent.

There's a club that's formed in Tokyo in response to all this, called The National Chauvinistic Husbands Association. For real. It's sort of a support group, designed to help men learn how to treat their wives better, and each evening begins with a group toast repeating the recommended strategy for use when arguing with their wives.

"I can't win. I won't win. I don't want to win," they bellow in unison, before tippling from tall schooners of draft beer.

Hysterical. And oh so true.

4 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger Constance said...

Hi on Thursday Nigel ! How is today going ?

I am so proud of you for the ongoing walking. Good for you, seriously good for you for taking care of yourself like that.
It even starts to be enjoyable after a while :)

As far as this japanese law change, perhaps if the men weren't out drinking in the bars with their buddies after work, their wives wouldn't feel so long-suffering and want to file for divorce.

Cause and effect...

They can't win because they set it up that way by creating the problem in the first place.
So maybe IF IT WAS SINCERE AND THEY WEREN'T GOING TO REPEAT THE BEHAVIOR, that chant would have some meaning that would keep a wife from feeling argumentative again.

Works on both sides of the coin.

I'm not saying women are exempt from being trouble makers in their relationships, and then playing dumb about it.

I'm just pointing out the problem on the male side based on your example.

I think my sense of humor died, or is at least on hiatus recently...

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger tryingtolearn said...

As a reasonably balanced male I would have to agree with Loving Angie comments...wouldn't pass the reasonableness test...paradigm shift coming up...

And hey...the walking thing really works...been doing it for about 2 years...once you get the habit it gets so you miss it when you can't go.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Nigel St.John Regina Smegmatica Howle-Raines said...

Women...."exempt from being trouble makers"? Whatever could you possibly mean, my dear Loving Annie? Hmmmmm?

:)

Boy, do I have news from the Valentine's thingy, but I'm not gonna bother. Too much drama...

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger reneegrrrrrrrr said...

Awww, some of us that don't have a life appreciate drama now and again.

If you feel up to sharing with us I don't have a life. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home