Thursday, February 07, 2008

'scuse me while I kiss this guy....

The title of this post refers to "Purple Haze" by Jimi Hendrix (at right). There's a line he sings that goes: "'scuse me while I kiss the sky" and for years many, many people thought it was "kiss this guy". There's a web site devoted to this called the Archive of Misheard Lyrics and its url is http://www.kissthisguy.com

Back in my on air radio days, we'd "take requests". The fun part of this was when the listener wasn't sure of the song title and/or would request using mangled song lyrics. Trying to figure out exactly what the hell song they wanted was sometimes easy, sometimes a challenge. I used to take calls from people who wanted to hear "Carry a laser down the road" (Mr. Mr., "Kyrie", the lyrics were Greek--"Kyrie eleison"--meaning "Lord have mercy")..."I'm Gonna Sit On You" (George Harrison, "I've Got My Mind Set On You"), "There's A Bathroom On The Right" (CCR, "Bad Moon Rising"), and tons of others.

Perhaps my favorite mangled lyrics request was a phone call from back in 1978 that went something like this:

Nigel: 104 KFMX, can I help you?
Caller: Yeah, man, I wanna hear PIZZA BURNING!
Nigel: Excuse me?
Caller: Pizza Burning!
Nigel: A song called Pizza Burning?
Caller: Yeah man--that jam from Mick and Keith!
Nigel: The Stones? Pizza Burning? Sing me some of the lyrics so I can figure it out.
Caller: OK, here goes: "I don't wanna be your...pizza burning"...
Nigel: That's "Beast of Burden", sir, "Beast of Burden".
Caller: Play it! Pizza Burning!!!

I've got the song on my mp3 player and I'm listening (and laughing thinking about that call) right now...

3 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Blogger Deech said...

Nigel, and yet the only intelligible singer out there is Ozzy Ozbourne...yet when he speaks, you can't understand a fuckin word he says...Go figure! ROTFLMAO!

Flyinfox_SATX

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Carlos said...

That's hilarious....Pizza Burning, that is. God...I need to think of some of the songs I mis-heard when I was a kid...there a few

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger RL said...

My favourite will always be a mishearing of Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple - instead of the chorus it went "Slow Motion Walter, Fire Engine Guy". HA!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home