Thursday, May 29, 2008

Finger goo in my water

Lunch today at my favorite Thai restaurant: chicken satay. Yummy.

But it was the waiter's handling of my glass of water that made me queasy. Maybe it's because of my previous work with the deads, but I know way too much about bacteria, microbes, and assorted creepy things that lurk on hands, under fingernails, etc. So I place a premium on at least the appearance of cleanliness, particularly in restuarants.

This particular place does the thing with drink straws where they leave about an inch of paper on the top; when ready to drink you take the paper off and you've got yourself a clean straw you can put your mouth on without worrying about catching TB or herpes.

Instead of lifting the straw by the paper to place in the glass, this waiter, who I affectionately call "Numb-nuts", did this: grabbed it towards the middle/bottom of the straw, pulled it out of the container, and dunked it in my glass. So his finger goo was then directly in the water, atoms and molecules slowly seeping into my drinking H2O.

Then, he dug for a lime, managing to touch every part of the meat instead of the peel, and dropped it in the water, too. Charming.

I refuse to eat at Waffle House because they cook everything right in front of you and you can watch the stomach-churning rituals employed prior to your food actually making it to the grill or toaster: greasy fingers all over everything, no gloves, nothing. So now my favorite Thai restaurant wins the Waffle House good hygiene award, and I'll be going elsewhere to eat lunch henceforth.

5 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Blogger Deech said...

OK, I can see that...That's kinda gross.

Flyinfox_SATX

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger reneegrrrrrrrr said...

I had a waitress once that forgot which soda was the regular and which was the diet, so she proceeded to sniff to try and decide. Yeah, she didn't have the proper training that two straws or a lemon goes to the diet. My friend and I were jaw dropped and her deciphering method, refused the sniffed drinks, and educated her on the double straw/lemon practice. :)

Have yourself a fabulous weekend!!!

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger changapeluda said...

Mira que delicado!

i thought you would have an iron gut, you know
after handling the dead

( AND their fluidz and their
ummm... deadness)

PS.
May i share a similar numbnutted experience?
okay

but this is
Tijuanna style

our waiter had no clue what a cochino he was being when he took a glass i had noticed had dried cilantro stuck to the inside....
so with a motherfucken Flourish this Rico Suave takes my soda and pours it into another glass.
right in front of me like it was a magic trick.
and he thought he was All Sexy going about it.
:0{

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Infantry Dad said...

YEAH!!
Gotta run.
Be back later.
Seen Chip lately?

 
At 3:18 AM, Blogger none said...

Just find a restaurant that serves fingers and be done with it!!

Me and the better 1/2 are both Veggies and after sending a pizza back that had salami all over it we watched the chef (I use that term loosley here) peel all the bits of meat off and send the pizza back to us!!

We politely suggested he:

a. Not be such a twat.
b. Make a new fucking pizza - and
c. Stick that one where the sun didn't shine.

Fair play to the waiter though, he was embarrased bringing it back and told us what had happened in case we didn't spot the kitchens subterfuge . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home