Sunday, August 17, 2008

A fired bartender leads to sadness for Nigel

I'm a nearly broken man.

Early this afternoon I received a distressing phone call, and it put me in a funk for the remainder of the day. Seems my favorite bartender at the watering hole I frequent was fired by the owner today, on the phone. This bartender, who I'll call Guido, apparently threatened the life of one of the 18 year old Widespread Panic loving dope smoking patchouli smelling dishwashers in the place. My bartender friend isn't much for hippie nonsense on the job, and lord knows there's lottsa that there, and he's yelled at people before about their "wasn't it great in '68" behavior in the past--without losing his job. So whatever the altercation was, it must have been spectacular.

So I'm really stuck. This guy was the only guy they had behind the bar there; all the other tenders are women...lovely, young women...with whom it's difficult to have a guy's bar hanging out kind of conversation. Do you know what I mean by that? They're very nice, and I like them, but it's just not the same.

Most importantly, Guido (the bartender) often bought, like, half of my bar bill on his comp tab. I'd make it up to him in tips. The legend spread; this led to me having a reputation in this place for being a monster tipper (say, $20 tip on a bill that might have been $21 but should have been $50) which in turn and over time made me exceedingly popular in this place, culminating in much free Sambuca being sent my way by all the employees. And I tip accordingly. This will now likely stop. For this, my liver is grateful (it had itself a little party this afternoon) but I'm not sure what to make of it.

So, I'm sad tonight. My life is about to take a big change...hey, maybe that's not all bad, either, eh?

I think I'll take up knitting.

5 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Blogger Carlos said...

That sucks. Maybe you'll find him at another watering hole.

Had something similar happen here with a waitress. She was great. Then the restaurant shut down. We stumbled across her a few weeks later at another restaurant, which was nice. Then that restaurant shut down. Real bummer.

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ugh, Nigel, I almost have no words for this. That sucks balls that your beloved bartender has now departed from your favorite watering hole. I have experienced this before myself and the loss is quite painful.

You have a super sunday! :)

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger reneegrrrrrrrr said...

Awww, sorry for your loss :(

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger La Sirena said...

You should ask the owner or whoever fired him where Guido is working now, so that you can start patronizing that establishment.

I'm serious.

I hate when they fire my favorite bartender -- and usually, it's a great bartender and the mediocre, namby-pamby, mealy-mouthed, couldn't-make-a-drink-or-tell-a-really-raunchy-joke-to -save-their-lives bartenders never get fired.

As you may have noticed I feel very passionately about this subject, as both a former bartender and former frequent drunk.

Also tell Patchouli the Dishwasher from me that he's an impotent anachcronistic tattle-tale, snitcher-britches, cry-baby.

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger changapeluda said...

hey can you learn how to knit one of them ginourmous beanies with lots & lots of fluffy colorful yarn cuz i'm thinking about dreading my hair!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home