Friday, January 12, 2007

MLK holiday: off to the boat show!

As part of my MLK holiday weekend observance, I'm going to a boat show. What one has to do with the other, hell, I don't know. But I'm going.

I used to own a boat, 20 years ago. A decent, fast cruiser, slept 4 albeit a little tight, galley, head. I could've lived on it if I had to. I was on it every day back in my "weird hours worked on the radio with every afternoon off" era. 'Twas great for entertaining guests, nudge nudge, wink wink (girls who didn't even know me very well got naked really fast on this boat...why this was, who knows, but I sure was thankful for it). The photo, above left, sorta kinda captures the sense of at least part of it.

The reality, of course, was that owning this boat was like standing in a cold shower tearing up $20 bills. Instead of the expense, if I'd invested just the money I spent on dock fees, today I'd literally have $500k in the bank.

So now my boat, long gone, is a dim memory, and my social life has pretty much deflated along with my boat ownership status. Hmmmm. A connection, maybe? So, off to the boat show...because, I still have a dream.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home