Monday, August 18, 2008

Athens, Georgia: ain't no Parthenon, y'all

I had to visit Athens, Georgia, today on business.

Who named this place, anyway? Home to the Georgia Bulldogs, recently rated #1 in partying and dementia on the latest AP poll...yet there's nothing remotely Athenian about Athens. Similarly, Georgia has a city named Rome. There's nothing Roman about it, lemme tell you. I've been to Rome, and if the Georgia version was to be considered similar to the Italian version, they'd need to have gypsy children accosting you when you visit the sites. At least, that's what happened to me during my last Italian visit.

What sites do you get in Rome, Georgia? Allow me, your loveable Nigel, to provide you a glimpse:
  1. Waffle House. Home of the "we don't wash our hands while we cook" experts, the remarkable nature of the gastronomical experience hits you only once you're on the throne, athwart, and bearing down. Many moons ago, I posted a story about how the Scottish government had created a pamphlet advising readers on "Good Defecation Dynamics", and you'll want to peruse this thing well in advance of a visit to the den of diarrhea represented by the Waffle House. Trust me on this.
  2. Wal-Mart. Again, a previous post. What else needs be said? Re-live and and enjoy.
Our tour of Rome ends just south and east, in the lovely town of Braselton, home of the "we don't hate Negroes, but by God they need to stay in their place." Or at least, something like that.

6 Comments:

At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love love Waffle House, Nigel. one of the greatest reasons for living in the South. and call me crazy but the employees not washing their hands gives every meal one eats there that little something extra. i don't know, man. I just like it. :)

Scattered, covered and smothered, baby! :)

Hope you had a really great day. :)

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Constance said...

Katie cracks me up.

But I think I'll pass on visiting Rome, Georgia on my next luxury B&B tour...

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger changapeluda said...

i believe the sign says "Boy don't let the sun go down on you."

...and what freaks me the fuck out is i think there might be some nailed to some backwood's tree in Arkansas, too.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Karen said...

see, we don't have Waffle Houses here in New England. (You people insisted on sending us Cracker Barrels instead :) ) . Haven't eaten in Waffle House since I was 16....but I did like those pecan waffles. Guess I didn't know any better !

Wal-Mart - well, it is what it is. I need to find that fail blog pic for you, it was something about some woman saying she liked the dollar store more than Wal-Mart because she didn't have to dress up as much.... :P

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger changapeluda said...

my sister lives in Hot Springs Ark, My aunt & uncle in Glenwood, they took me rabbit hunting and i have seeeen that sign with my own eyes, so it ain't stereotyping so much as shit like this Still goes on.

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An outstanding sharŠµ! I've just forwarded this onto a coworker who has been conducting a little homework on this. And he actually ordered me dinner due to the fact that I stumbled upon it for him... lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending time to discuss this matter here on your internet site.

my web site ... instant cash loans

 

Post a Comment

<< Home