Tuesday, October 14, 2008

No TV for li'l ol' me!

I am TV-less, for the first time in many years.

My trusty Toshiba, purchased in 1980 and repaired once, back in 1988, has finally given up the ghost. Wherever TVs go to die; well, it's there. I like to think of it now, up there "In Living Color", playing back re-runs of the good stuff...you know, like the old Dick Van Dyke show, and Hogan's Heroes, and the first Bob Newhart show (the one where Bob was married to Suzanne Pleshette, who as his wife Emily caused simultaneous laughter and pants tightening for your humble Nigel.) Gratuitous photo of Suzanne in her prime, at left. Unfortunately, she's doing the great celestial dirt nap now herself, having left us in January...maybe she's up there watching my Toshiba? It's a nice thought.

Anyhow, everything took on weird colors, and then it all got fuzzy and blurry, and then it all went black. Oh, wait, that was how my last drunken binge went. Seriously, the TV: the tube started acting funny, and I had to leave the damn thing on for like, two hours, before the picture would pop in. Finally, death.

This has turned out to be a strangely mixed blessing. I'm forced to drop my politics habit, wherein I alternately scream and throw things at Sean Hannity and Barack Obama (I'm an equal opportunity asshole, shlubbies).

Now I'm back to reading books! Who knew? So, right now, I'm perusing the pages of the biography of Johnny Carson...also on the living room coffee table, "TV's Greatest Tasteless Stories", which is full of lurid details about things like "what were the girls really wearing when they were in the tub at the beginning of Petticoat Junction?"

Enquiring minds want to know!

4 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger Deech said...

You know...you can watch all your favorite reruns on YouTube.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Carlos said...

I still have a hard on for Suzanne Pleshette! Beautiful. And Marlo Thomas ... And Barbara Eden….and Dawn Wells…and Barbara Feldon…and Sally Field……………….

Okay. I’m back.

I love shit that lasts forever. I had a 19” Magnavox TV that lasted about 15yrs. And a Radio Shack VCR that lasted even longer. I still have the remote for the VCR. Pathetically, I can’t bring myself to toss it.

It’s amazing what one does without TV. I haven’t decided which is more evil – television of tobacco.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Nigel St.John Regina Smegmatica Howle-Raines said...

Barbara Eden! OMG! What a complete total wanking dream! You talk about adolescent fantasy--my biggest would have been a 3-some with her and Maureen McCormick (Marcia on the Brady Bunch) Oh, yes, oh, yes!!!!!

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Nigel St.John Regina Smegmatica Howle-Raines said...

btw, speaking of Barbara Eden--My son, Nigel Jr., has discovered Comcast On Demand, and he's like, "dad, can we watch I Dream Of Jeannie"--again? HAHAHAHAHA! That's my boy!!!!!! He has good taste.

also btw, what the fuck was up with Larry Hagman? He had this awesome half naked gorgeous sexy girl living in his HOUSE who wanted to give him EVERYTHING and he couldn't get around to marrying her until season #5? C'mon, Larry, SHIT!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home