Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Nothing works. Ever.

What do you do when you get something new and the installation instructions are wrong?

I ordered a wireless router from woot.com (interesting daily deals, cheap). Arriving in a box, sans installation disc, I go: "Ok, they say to go to the netgear.com site to download installation software and the manual. How hard can this be?"

Turns out, as hard as Saddam's brother keeping his head on straight.

After what seemed like hours of futility searching the goddamm netgear site for their goddamm software and their goddamm installation instructions, I gave up. This is why I'm reverting to Luddite-ism....nothing works as advertised, ever:
  • Music downloads: just like sex--I'm no longer participating. I don't download music anymore due to the hassle factor. Incompatible formats or the goddamm DRM limiting your burns or the computer's "not authorised" or whatever. And good luck getting your money back when you accidentally download the wrong song from their incredibly difficult to read single-space font-size Verdana 6 Lite web site. Buff my scrotum, Mr. Jobs.
  • Driving a car: mine's in the shop right now because, according to the helpful mechanic, "something's rattling around in there". Look, bucko, I could've told you that!
  • Marriage: what more needs to be said?
Sometimes, I swear, I think the Amish have the right idea.

4 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost bought the same one on Woot - I wonder why it didn't come with any software? Have you heard about Tanga.com? Daily deal site (woot rip off) but cool products, board games and daily puzzles. I check both every day.

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger none said...

Bad luck chasp! As for cars - I can't drive mine at the mo, my engine is on the floor and i'm pulling it apart, fixing it and putting it back together!!

(This is what happens when you don't have alcohol to fall back on).

 
At 4:46 AM, Blogger none said...

And I just remembered - I sorted out a friends laptop the other day, it's Wi-Fi, he hasn't got a Wi-Fi network, but a neighbor has, 100MB of updates later . . . . . . . .

People should really secure their networks better . . . . .

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Nigel St.John Regina Smegmatica Howle-Raines said...

No kidding about the open network. Yuo've gotta have an IQ measurable on the Richter Scale not to be able to see the dangers with that, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home