Wednesday, March 19, 2008

What do you think about this advice?

Someone sent me this, undoubtedly because of the recent kerfuffle I experienced. It's lifted from a craigslist entry titled "Advice to Young Men from an Old Man."
.....
20. Don’t bother with “emotional affairs.” They are just a vehicle for women to flirt and have someone make them feel good about themselves. That’s the part of a relationship they want. For you it is a lot of work and investment in time. If they are having an emotional affair with you, they’re probably fucking someone else.

21. Becoming a woman’s friend and confidant is not going to get you into an intimate relationship. If you haven’t gotten the girl within a reasonably short period of time, chances are you won’t ever get her. She’ll end up confiding to you about the sexual adventures she’s having with someone else.

22. Have and nurture friendships with women.
.....
What do you think about this advice? Does it strike you as true? This business of "emotional affairs" I find fascinating. I've certainly been through that, and what the old guy says about it has proven out, at least for me. So, I'll be interested in your comments!

7 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Blogger Deech said...

To a certain degree, I agree with this post. There comes a time in any relationship when one of the partners (I don't really care which) has to step up and ask, "Hey, what is going with us? What do we have here."

I disagree on the timing because that would really depend on the people involved. Some may need to happen quickly, others, take their time.

Just my 2 cents....

Flyinfox_SATX

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Nigel St.John Regina Smegmatica Howle-Raines said...

I think what's meant here by "emotional affairs" is the kind where there's sort of an endless nothing going on--no real relationship to speak of-- but all the time the man involved is being available, supportive, concerned, etc. A shoulder to cry on, someone to lean on. Meanwhile the woman is being flirty and friendly and gives off signals that there may EVENTUALLY be something there, just not right now. So the man hangs around like a puppy dog. At least, that's my reading of what the "old man" is saying. But I may be wrong.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger reneegrrrrrrrr said...

I had this huge response written and then just deleted it cause it made no sense. Relationships can be like that sometimes.

I'll try later and comment and see if it makes any sense.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Carlos said...

Strikes me as true. Smart old man.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger reneegrrrrrrrr said...

Knock, knock???

I hope your doing well Nigel?

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger We sing we dance we steal things said...

The man knows his stuff.
I couldn't agree more. While something can turn into something more years down the road - It usually only happens in the movies.

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger doctor chip said...

aw, fuck all that.

BOFF the little strumpet already.

emotional, e-schmoe-tional.

you know she WANTS it.

GIVE it to her. BUT GOOD.

yup.

Nigel, old buddy... don't try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
whoever wrote this tripe has obviously never been laid in his life. ya gotta let the little head think for the big head in these matters... ya think too much about it, and, the next thing ya know... well, there ain't no prey to prey upon.

if you're just curious... this guy's a FUCK.

if'n you're thinkin' about somethin'...

BOFFBOFFBOFF!!!!!!!


that's the way I see it.

yup.

"njmchkaf"

B-\

----------

 

Post a Comment

<< Home