Sunday, August 03, 2008

One more reason to hate my pool

Out on the deck this morning, right by the pool, and I find this gigantic, huge, slithering, coiled up thing sunning itself by the skimmer closest to the sun chairs. Yes, friends, it was a snake. A big, nasty, disgusting, crawling on its belly reptile.

I hate fucking snakes. Snakes, spiders, creepy-crawly anything, frogs, slugs, toads, butterflies, and all manner of God's marvelous creations: keep them wide the bloody hell away from me.

I spotted this thing, and I must say, it was just as well I was wearing a brown swimsuit. After wadddling back inside to clean myself up, I returned outside with battle plans in mind. How to get rid of Satan? Call 911? I rejected this out of hand, because I didn't want to deal with Shinquaneesha laughing at me on the other end of the phone. A broom? Too...close. Yelling at it? Do snakes have ears? Spraying it with Windex? Why not, it works for everything else, and at least the snake would be squeeky clean. Nope, rejected that, too.

So finally I hit upon the idea of turning the hose on this thing with the nozzle bored down tight so the water would hit it hard, in a nice continuous stream. Added advantage: I could do this from 20 feet away. The snake wouldn't even see me, let alone be within striking distance.

So whammo! A water bath for Beezlebub! And this snake didn't like it one bit, uncoiling, moving REALLY FUCKING FAST (shit, the thing could outrun me; thank God I was nowhere near it) off the deck and onto the grass where it promptly disappeared down a hole right next to the deck. Great. So now I have an anaconda living under my pool deck.

Sometimes I wonder why I ever moved out of my apartment. It had all I neededd: one room, a kitchen, a bathroom, bookshelves, cable. And no flaming snakes.

4 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Blogger Constance said...

Snakes give me the heebeejeebees - I'm afraid of the poisonous ones big time. That was an ingenuous idea to blast it with the hose - and that the hose was powerrful enough ! I woulda called 9-1-1, in fcat I did when the rattlesnake was by my parents' back door - and I apologized for it not being an emergency, but...

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Karen said...

flaming snakes...that's what was needed here, proper application of flamethrower :)

(I don't mind snakes, but I'm guessing you live in an area with rather nasty specimens ? )

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Nigel St.John Regina Smegmatica Howle-Raines said...

Annie: I would never apologize for raising a stink about a rattler...you did the right thing...


Aoide: I could live in Antarctica and still hate snakes. They give me the willies...

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Infantry Dad said...

That lookes like a copper head, and if it is you might want to call someone who knows how to deal with them. they are nasty, and poisenous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home