Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The saddest song I know...

Because of my radio background, people occasionally ask me about music--all kinds of questions, like did I like the songs I played, etc.

Last night, I was challenged as to what would be the saddest song I know about. Without question, bar none, it's the song called "Martha", by Tom Waits. It brings immediate tears to me, right away, when he starts singing. I'm a total wreck with this one. It's the story of a 40+ year unrequited love. Here are the lyrics:

Operator, number, please: it's been so many years
Will she remember my old voice while I fight the tears?
Hello, hello there, is this Martha? This is old Tom Frost,
And I am calling long distance, don't worry 'bout the cost.
'Cause it's been forty years or more, now Martha please recall,
Meet me out for coffee, where we'll talk about it all.

And those were days of roses, poetry and proses
Martha all I had was you and all you had was me.
There was no tomorrows, we'd packed away our sorrows
And we saved them for a rainy day.

And I feel so much older now, and you're much older too,
How's your husband? And how's the kids? You know that I got married too?
Lucky that you found someone to make you feel secure,
'Cause we were all so young and foolish, now we are mature.

And those were days of roses, poetry and proses
Martha all I had was you and all you had was me.
There was no tomorrows, we'd packed away our sorrows
And we saved them for a rainy day.

And I was always so impulsive, I guess that I still am,
And all that really mattered then was that I was a man.
I guess that our being together was never meant to be.
And Martha, Martha, I love you can't you see?

And those were days of roses, poetry and proses
Martha all I had was you and all you had was me.
There was no tomorrows, we'd packed away our sorrows
And we saved them for a rainy day.

And I remember quiet evenings trembling close to you...

5 Comments:

At 5:58 AM, Blogger Carlos said...

It didn't make me cry, but that last line sure hit me hard. I've been remember lots of those evenings lately, as you know.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Nigel St.John Regina Smegmatica Howle-Raines said...

well, it's also the way he sings it...his voice is tailor made for this kind of song...

 
At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

god, that was sooooooo sad! touching, it was. love sucks. i am so positive, aren't i? :)

saddest song to me ever. "dance with my father" (i think that's what it's called) by Luther Vandross. Makes me cry every time i hear it. Because i have longed to see my dad dance with my mom just one more time, like they actually like each other. no matter how old you get, the kid in ya never stops wishing that their family was a family again. that song just always makes me think of something that could never be, but what i wish could.

on that depressing as hell note, have a great fucking day!! haha. :)

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Tom Waits rocks. My personal favorite is Jersey Girl which is kinda sad in it's own right.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Twit said...

One of his many gems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home