Wednesday, December 05, 2007

A house is not a home...

So I'm perusing some of my favorite blogs yesterday--among them my buddy Carlos', who'd posted a Google Earth shot of his previous home, now owned by someone else. It got me thinking: what if I could find all the houses I'd previously lived in, and Google Earth them? So, I did!

Sure, this is completely self serving, but what the hell, it was fun. Here they all are. I've alluded to this in the past on this blog -- I've lived in a LOT of places, both growing up and then doing vagabond radio crap. In no particular order, and some of the areas circled aren't exactly the house as I lived in it (example, Tokyo, where they bulldozed the house and put up a highrise).

Atlanta Tokyo, Japan Minneapolis Sydney, Australia Washington, D.C
Singapore Melbourne, Australia San Francisco Ft. Lauderdale Sandton, South Africa

7 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Blogger Deech said...

Man, you have lived all over the place. I don't think I remember all the places I have lived.

Flyinfox_SATX

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger reneegrrrrrrrr said...

Wow, you have lived all over the place.

How was Australia?

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Whew, Hotlanta - that must had been a trip and a half.

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Carlos said...

Mucho cool. I did the same thing. Couldn't find like a third of the houses, but it was fun to get back in the 'hood. Google Earth is addicting. You can also do flight following on it if you go to http://fboweb.com. You have to have GE running before you start tracking.

I think I could dig Australia. How long did you live there?

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Nigel St.John Regina Smegmatica Howle-Raines said...

Thanks for the comments!

I was in Australia for nearly 10 years. It was fantastic. I have family there--I went back this time last year for a visit. I regaled blog visitors with highlights from New Zealand, Sydney, Cheviot Beach, near Melbourne, and finally a post-holiday wrap-up.

I love it there because everyone lives on the coast--all this outback b.s. is just b.s.--so it's a beach sunshine relaxed beer-guzzling place. Perfect for me!

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger doctor chip said...

Google Earth is the Shaz-nod! I use it all the time for work. yup. I can look at about 95 % of the roofs I need to work on before ever setting foot on 'em!

mondo cool!

Japan, eh??


yup.

B-)

------

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Constance said...

Nigel,
Ten different houses ? Wow. That's a lot in one lifetime...
But then again, I've lived in 7, if you count 4 apartments...
I didn't know Google Earth could do that - have to go check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home